WHAT WE BELIEVE
At Red Bridge United Methodist Church, we believe that the message of God's love in Jesus Christ is
always relevant to our everyday lives. And while we seek to use contemporary and timely methods to
communicate the gospel, we unashamedly hold to the timeless truths of ancient Christianity. Among our
core beliefs and values are:
- We believe in one God, who eternally exists in three persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. As
Christians we hold to the centrality of Jesus Christ to God's plan for the world. He is the unique
Son of God and is our only hope for salvation.
- We believe that, above everything else, God desires a relationship with us. We are created to know
God and enjoy God's presence. Therefore, we believe Christianity is more about relationship than "religion."
- We believe that human beings are made in the image of God and are the object of God's affection.
That image, though, has been marred by sin and our relationship with God is broken and in need of restoration.
- We believe that in Christ, God came to restore our brokenness. That Jesus' life, death, and
resurrection make it possible for us to know God and receive forgiveness of sins. Being restored to a
right relationship with God is God's gift to us; there is nothing we can do to earn it. We receive it
by faith in Jesus Christ and His death on the cross for us.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit is the giver of all spiritual gifts. The Holy Spirit gives
us gifts for the purpose of serving others and for the building of God's Kingdom.
- We believe in the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as God's word. We believe the
Bible is our primary authority for all matters related to faith and practice.
- We believe that people matter to God and that our mission as a church is to "make disciples of
Jesus Christ who make a difference in the world." As a church we do not exist to meet our own needs
but the needs others as a witness to our faith in Christ.
- We believe that discipleship is the focus of the Christian life and that full devotion to
Jesus Christ is normative for every believer. We believe that life-change happens best in small groups.
- We believe that the gospel of Jesus Christ, proclaimed through the local church, is the hope of
the world. It is in the church that lives are redeemed and transformed.